Sunday, April 24, 2005

It's about time!


Well, I think it's about time that I started writing things in this blog that are not necessarily scotch related. What with new baby and all, there hasn't been enough time to settle down with a nice dram. I did get a new bottle, however, a McClelland's Lowland, which is apparently a 5yo bottling of a Lowland distillery. The name of the distillery was changed for this bottling so the young age would not affect the name inversely. Most distilleries won't bottle anything less than 10yo. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but as it was free, even if it is crap it doesn't matter.

Anyway, a year ago at a conference in Monterey, CA I started jogging for excercise. I kept up with it through the winter on the treadmill, but outdoor running is really more enjoyable. At any rate, as a celebration of a year of running I decided that I should partake in a race. I chose the 2005 Cherry Creek Sneak as a starting point. I entered the 5-mile run, and Melissa participated in the 3.1-mile walk. My goal was to run the race in less than 44 minutes, which was the best time I've recorded (on my own) so far. A race is totally different than going out on your own for a run. There are so many people at the start that you really have to weave your way through at the beginning. As a result, my pace for the first mile was about 10 minutes. I knew I had to step it up for the rest of the race. By the second mile the pack was thinning out a bit and I was able to get back down to my 8:30 pace. But I was feeling really good and I knew I would be able to bring it up in the last miles. As a result each mile of my race was faster than the last, and I was able to burn over the finish line at 42:38! Having people out there to cheer you on is great too, although I missed Melissa as I thought she would be watching on the left side of the road and she was actually on the right side. What a run!

I was very happy to reach my goal for this race, now I have to think about what next. I'm thinking of doing a 10k at the Bolder Boulder in May, but we'll see about that. The eventual goal is to do a marathon, so this is the first step along that path. I'm really enjoying running, and it was wonderful to have my wife and son there taking part with me. 'Til next time!

No comments: