Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Big Game

Today is the Big Game and I'm excited to see it on our big TV with all our friends. It will be a great cap to a great weekend. Friday night we had some friends over for dinner and ended up talking and playing games until 11:30. Then yesterday we took a little trip to home depot to buy a floodlight for our back patio, a must for grilling in the dark. I had fun installing that, and for once I picked a gorgeous day to work outside.


I had two good runs this weekend, but no wildlife to speak of. I was out for an hour yesterday for 6 miles. As I said it was gorgeous, so I was able to run in just a T-shirt and shorts. It was great! Then today I ran down to the track at the local high school for some intervals. Unfortunately today it is windy and cold, and I needed my jacket. I should have taken my pants too instead of shorts as my legs got really cold. The track was nice as I was able to get a better idea of the pace I need to hit for my training runs. I ran a couple of loops at 10 minute per mile pace, then did a couple of 9 min/mile circuits followed by easy jogs around, then an 8 min/mile loop/easy jog and another 9 min/mile loop/easy jog. Then it was back home. The whole run took me 50 minutes, and was a really intense workout. While my distance has improved over the last year my pace has declined and I was surprised at the effort required to hit my target 9 min/mile. But that's what training is for I guess.


The highlight of the weekend was a guys night out last night, with a friendly poker game. We had a blast and were at it until almost midnight. I spent the last week preparing for it the best I could, reading through my poker book and playing a few hands against the computer. The practice ended up paying off as I ended up being able to hold my own and was actually one of the final two at the table!


Well, gotta go get ready for the party. Go Steelers!

No comments: