Sunday, April 15, 2007

I. C. Weiner

Today was a first for a couple of things. First of all it was a new route for me, a 14 miler around Cherry Creek Reservoir. I've run parts of this route before but never all the way around. It was a great run, I forced myself to go slow in the beginning and I had plenty of gas left in the end to battle the headwind that had developed. Took me about 2 hours to do, but I don't know exactly as I forgot my watch. Oops.


The second first was my ice bath that I had when I got home. Soaking your legs in ice water after a long run is supposed to help keep inflammation down and speed up recovery. I have to say that after the initial shock wore off it was quite nice, a bit like a cold pool on a hot day. And my legs did feel much better afterwards. I guess this is just another rung in the ladder of "crazy runner." Thankfully my understanding wife just rolls her eyes.


For those of you who are marginally interested in running events, tomorrow is the 111th Boston Marathon. Boston is the top of the heap marathon wise and most marathoners set their sights on Boston at some point in their running career. In order to run, runners must qualify at another sanctioned marathon earlier in the year and the qualifications are rigorous. In order for me to qualify for the Boston marathon I would have to run a marathon in 3 hours, 10 minutes. My best hope is to keep running until I am 70 when the qualifying time is 4:30.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a funny guy! : ) I.C. Weiner. Can't wait to see you and Melissa on Wednesday. But I especially can't wait to see the grandmonkeys.