Saturday, May 13, 2006

Father-son time

Today was only a 4 mile run so I took Elijah with me in the joggy stroller. Unfortunately, I have a lot of hills on that route and with the added weight of the stroller and Elijah it slowed me down a little. But it was nice to get out of the house with him, and he had fun looking at all of the sites whizzing by. I think mommy appreciated it too. I hope that earned us some brownie points because Elijah and I woke up mommy from her nap this afternoon rocking out to Metallica.


I'm getting geared up for my run tomorrow, I've decided to go to the Aurora reservoir again as it will be easier to get the distance in there, two laps around and two miles out and back. Plus I can stash some powerade in the car and pick it up on my way past. I still haven't figured out the best time to go, but I'm thinking later in the afternoon again. I ran at 11 today and it felt really hot. Motivation wise it's pretty easy to get psyched up for this run as it is the last long one before the marathon. After tomorrow 10 miles is as long as they get. It's still really amazing to me that 10 miles is now a reasonable distance to me, I guess that means I'm ready for the big race. Apparently the best way to deal with the marathon is to break it into manageable chunks. So the marathon is a 10-10-10K race: 10 miles, 10 miles and then a 10K (6.2 miles). I'll deal with the 20 miles tomorrow in the same way (8-8-4). That helps you deal with the mental roadblock of the distance of the race. I've also found that now that my pace is pretty well set it helps to just shut down while I'm running. If I'm not thinking about the running, the miles just seem to pass.


It's been a really good Saturday today. We went out to Caribou for coffee, and then got our groceries. When we got back Elijah and I went for our run, and then I mowed the lawn. All of that before lunch! This afternoon I made banana bread, and we are hoping to go out for Mother's day ice cream once Elijah gets up from his nap!

No comments: